Sunday, February 17, 2013

Rice, French Fries, Macaroni and Fried Egg



During the year that I lived in Ecuador, Maya and I spent a month travelling through Bolivia and, unexpectedly, a full week in the country’s capital, La Paz. This having taken place a while ago, my memories are no longer well-defined. To my horror, not even a scan of my Andean upholstered pre-digital photo album could summon so much as murky images of the food … or the month at all for that matter.

I do, however, unaidedly remember the hostel at the top of the vertical road, the daily market in the plaza at its base and the complimentary tour of the McDonald’s kitchen - which we just could not turn down - on which the kitchen staff distressingly boasted the Canadian origin of all the McBolivian fries.

The only consumption that was effectively ingrained was - for reasons which require no further explanation – the oft repeated almost-all-starch-meal of rice, french fries, macaroni and fried egg. This motley crew is one of the great combinations served at 4,000 metres above sea level and we ate it regularly in the market at the foot of the hill.



While I appreciate that preparation does not conjure even a crumb of culinary prodigy, I take off my hat to the visionary to whom I am indebted for what I can only imagine was initially received as a brazen and unorthodox combination.

I did not make the pasta from scratch, so anyone who needs a recipe for anything beyond the fries should probably not be attempting this dish.


French Fries:

Ingredients:

• potatoes
• oil
• thyme
• salt

Directions:
• Pre-heat oven to 375
• Cut potatoes into fry-like slices
• Soak the uncooked fries in an ice-water bath to release some of the starch
• Bake for around 40 minutes although depending on the quantity and the thickness of the fries you may need more or less.

1 comment:

  1. In Bolivia did they serve hamburgers with cabbage on sliced sandwich bread cut diagonally? That was a central American classic worth replicating. Will we see a post in honour of your Zaidy any time soon?

    ReplyDelete